Dogs are such smart, protective animals. We’ve seen so many stories of dogs stepping up to protect their families from danger and saving their lives.
That was the case recently, when a smart dog named Champ saved his family from a house fire.
Last Thursday, a fire broke out in the basement of a Huntsville, Ontario home. The house quickly filled with smoke — and the owners were fast asleep.
But a potentially fatal catastrophe was averted thanks to family bulldog Champ, who was on alert and quickly got to work waking up his family.
According to a post from the Ontario Provincial Police, everyone made it out to safety. Members of the Huntsville Fire Department soon arrived and extinguished the fire.
“What a good boy!” the department wrote.
Many people commented on the post, praising Champ for saving his family, calling him a “superhero.”
Dogs’ senses are incredible, and it’s amazing how often they’re alert to dangers we humans haven’t noticed. But while Champ saved the day this time, the Huntsville Fire Department warns that you shouldn’t rely on your dog in emergencies.
#HvilOPP Champ saves the day! Champ's family was fast asleep in their south Huntsville home when it filled with smoke. The American bulldog "Champ" alerted his owners & everyone made it to safety. Members of the Huntsville Fire Department successfully extinguished the fire.^cc pic.twitter.com/1wNF6JyQB4— OPP Central Region (@OPP_CR) July 20, 2023
“Not everyone has a Champ,” the department wrote on Facebook. “Smoke alarms are a key part of a home fire escape plan. When there is a fire, smoke spreads fast. Working smoke alarms will give you early warning so you can get out quickly. Check your smoke & carbon monoxide alarms today!”
Good boy, Champ! Thank you for saving your family’s lives — you’ve definitely earned some treats!
Please share this great news if you love dogs!