We often browse the internet to escape everyday life. Funny stories and clips that show wonderful cats and dogs — it’s entertainment that pleasures the mind.
But we also need these kinds of stories.
The goal is not to get sad — but rather to help us keep our pets safe and healthy.
Unfortunately, for this dog owner, a mistake at home turned fatal, and she was forced to take goodbye by her best friend far too soon.
Christina Young’s beloved dog Petey died after a “mistake” that most of us have made — and continue to make in our homes — every day.
Now that she realizes how easily it can be prevented, she’s keen on warning all pet owners.
When Christina came home one day, she expected to greet her dog Petey as usual. He always ran towards her her, waving his tail — anxious to cuddle and play.
But instead she came home to a quiet house and her boyfriend, Christian, gave her devastating news.
“As [Christian] walked in further he saw our sweet boy laying lifeless with a stupid chip bag over his head. He was able to get them off the counter that we will forever blame ourselves for leaving out. He ate every chip out but of course went back for crumbs…which made the bag tighter and tighter with there being nothing left inside every time he would go for more he would inhale making the bag tighter & tighter around his head.. ultimately resulting in suffocation.”
Christina could not understand how this could happen. Why didn’t Petey just remove the chip bag from his head with his paws? He was an extremely clever dog.
After doing some investigation, she discovered what few are aware of — that pets are suffocated by bags more often than we think.
Now she wants to warn everyone to keep chips, popcorn, and other empty bags out of dog’s reach. They can pose a serious threat to our beloved animals.
“3-5 pet suffocation’s get reported every week and 42% of those occur while the owner is in the next room. It only takes about 3 minutes for their oxygen to drop to fatal levels. With this happening so often we were so surprised by the lack of awareness on this topic out there,” writes Christina on Facebook.
Personally, I had never heard of this and it’s quite scary that something as seemingly harmless as an empty chips bag could have such unimaginable consequences.
Christina and Christian are now keen on raising awareness, so that something good can hopefully come from this tragedy.
“So I just ask that in honor of my boy Petey that you be extra careful, warn other dog owners & give your fur babies some extra love today and everyday after this. I pray none of you ever have to experience your heart breaking this way.
We love you papas you were the best boy in the whole world & we will remember our good times forever.
To commemorate Petey, please share this story to warn other pet owners about this hidden danger at home.
Together, we can help all owners avoid this potential danger before it’s too late!